Land Disturbance and Grading Permits

Land disturbance is defined as any disturbance to the land that results in a change of the existing soil cover, both vegetative and nonvegetative, creates bare soil, alters hydrology, or may cause erosion or sedimentation. Such activities include, but are not limited to, clearing, stripping, grubbing, excavating, filling, grading, logging, storing of materials, adding or expanding a driveway, and the construction of any structure.

Most land disturbance and grading projects will require a financial security in the form of a cash escrow. This is a refundable security that is held until the project is complete and permanent erosion (vegetation) control is established. 

A grading permit is required for any land disturbances, including grading and/or filling activities on property within the city. Property owners should be aware many activities will require a basic permit. Prior to performing any grading or filling on your property contact [email protected].


A land disturbance permit is required for any NEW access onto a local public road, and/or if an existing access is altered (widened, moved, etc.). A secondary access may be granted on a case-by-case basis. 

A permit is not required for paving or resurfacing an existing driveway, unless the grade within the right-of-way is changed and/or the culvert is altered.

Hennepin County is the road authority for county state-aid highways and county roads. To obtain an access permit visit

Go to Apply for Permit or visit the Online Permit Portal to apply for a Land Disturbance and Grading permit.


Prior to performing any grading or filling on your property, please contact City Hall. Property owners should be aware many activities will require a basic permit. Typically, engineering review is required when you exceed 300 cubic yards of material, but there are also times when a permit is not required.
City of Corcoran | All Rights Reserved | Powered by CivicLive | © 2024 Civiclive.